Congratulations to graduate student Jordan Gossett, who was a recipient of the Zoology Graduate Program’s Jessie D. Kay Memorial Research Grant!
Congratulations to the Spring 2022 SEA-PHAGES cohort of undergraduate student for their hard work on their bacteriophage genome announcement in Microbial Resource Announcements. Access the article here: https://doi.org/10.1128/mra.00940-22
Chong RA, Cosse CM*, Gaytan V*, Green DS*, Kane CJ*, Kasal KA*, Kon ZK*, Maxwell RE*, Olaru V*, Pham TD*, Precourt MF*, Romero JR*, Rothschild WJ*, Sales SN*, Sensano TD*, Simko WE*, Smith IJ*, Toor MA*, Wilson AR*, and Porter ML. (2022) Genome Sequence of Arthrobacter Phage NathanVaag. Microbial Resources Announcements
Related post (3/20/22): NSF award to study lava tube biodiversity on Hawaiʻi Island
The National Science Foundation (NSF) has awarded a four-year, $1.29-million grant to Assistant Professor Rebecca Chong (PI) and Associate Professor Megan Porter (Co-PI), and collaborator Professor Annette Engel (Co-PI) at the University of Tennessee Knoxville, to study of how island cave communities are formed and how subterranean ecosystems are maintained through time in Hawaiʻi. Find out more at NSF-DEB-2204670
In the News:
- UH News (3/20/22): $1.29M grant to study lava tube biodiversity on Hawaiʻi Island
- Hawaii Herald Tribune (3/20/22): Beneath the surface: $1.29M grant funding study of lava tube ecosystems
- EurekAlert AAAS (3/20/22): $1.29M grant to study lava tube biodiversity on Hawai’i Island
- Maui Now (3/20/22): $1.29M grant awarded to UH to study lava tube biodiversity in Hawaiʻi
- Big Island Now (3/21/22): $1.29M Grant to Study Lava Tube Biodiversity on Hawaiʻi Island (audio and video)
- West Hawaii Today (3/21/22): Beneath the surface: $1.29M grant funding study of lava tube ecosystems
- Hawaii Public Radio (3/23/22): UH Mānoa receives $1.29M grant to study lava tube biodiversity (audio)
Related post (3/30/22): Becky Chong and Megan Porter featured on Hawaii Public Radio
Congrats to Jordan for obtaining funding to support her research project. No fieldwork, but excited for the lab work to begin!
A large collaborative paper looking at mitochondrial genome evolution across 100 cicadas in out in Journal of Heredity – see publications
Congrats to undergraduate researcher Mikaelah Johnson-Griggs for obtaining an Undergraduate Research Opportunity award to support her research project. Excited for the lab work to begin!
Our paper on Genome evolution of the obligate symbiont of aphids (Buchnera aphidicola) is now out in MBE – see publications
Congrats to undergraduate researcher Elissa Ota for obtaining an Undergraduate Research Opportunity award to support her honors project. Time to collect some data!